New Year, New Staff

This year, we had a total of twenty two new staff members join the Page family! Seven of them were just from the math department and the rest were scattered around in other departments. I interviewed a couple of the new team members asking various questions about how their experience at Page has been so far and learned a little bit about their background.

Originally from Ohio, Mr. Mann, one of our new math teachers, told me that this is his fifth year teaching but first year teaching high school. When asked why he chose to teach high schoolers he responded, “High school was one of my favorite times…” Mr. Mann explained that he wanted to help the students that he taught feel the same way that he felt. Before coming to North Carolina, the new math teacher attended Walsh University in Ohio. In 2013, he moved into the area and really likes it here! Mr. Mann loves his students and his colleagues that he works alongside. Other than math, he is a huge sports fan! His favorite college team is Penn State and he is also very excited to see the many Page sports teams compete.

Aubree Williams, one of Page’s new science teachers, is very excited for the year because it is her first year teaching! Before coming to Page, she was in graduate school at NCAT where she earned her Master’s degree in Biology Education. Ms. Williams was a student teacher here at Page and was a long term Biology substitute from January to June in 2018. She wants to teach her students to become lifelong learners and try to think as critically as possible. The instructor also wants to encourage her students to love Biology, her passion, as much as she does. Ms. Williams said, “My favorite part of Page so far is the supportive environment, which is important for me as a beginning teacher. Also, I can’t forget about my students! This first month has been amazing getting to know my students and I can’t wait to witness how each one grows and develops throughout the school year.”

Although a lot is changing, good things come with change. A Canadian writer named Robin Sharma once said, “Change is hard at first, messy in the middle, and gorgeous at the end.” If you are staring at the whiteboard in a classroom with a teacher that you told your friend was extremely unfair and mean, just give him or her a chance. You have to deal a new teacher that you think is cruel, but the teacher is also getting acclimated to the school and, if given the chance, can turn out to be the best teacher that you have ever had!

Mr. Mann talks to student Tyreek Shepard.