• “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

• “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde

• “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” – Dr. Seuss

• “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” -Nelson Mandela

• "Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow." -Helen Keller

Malaria Vaccine for the Win?

Tamar Greenhill, Staff writer

Malaria is a serious, life-threatening, and sometimes fatal, disease spread by mosquitoes and caused by a parasite; the way that the “malaria cycle” works is: a parasite is carried to its life cycle area in your body, since a parasite has multiple subspecies you begin to feel multiple vile symptoms that may start off as flu- like, and lastly the cycle ends when it travels to your liver so that it can multiply and go into your bloodstream to rapidly destroy your red blood cells. Doesn’t sound so fun right? Well the World Health Organization (WHO) is currently working on a vaccination for this dreadful disease.

There’s been bed nets and other sources of  protection to control the extreme measures of malaria but it is time for a new solution as progress has been reversed. 360,000 children a year in three African countries will receive the world’s first malaria vaccine as part of a large-scale pilot project, stated the World Health Organization. Malawi, Kenya, and Ghana will begin their vacations soon and start the project that could possibly be life changing for these little children in Africa. The way the vaccine works is it’s given in four doses, three doses between 5 months – 9 months of age and the fourth dose around the 2nd birthday. Hopefully the vaccinations really come through for these children so WHO can continue to do what they are doing and lower the malaria rates to the point it’s nearly gone.