Robertson’s Reportings: 10/23 – 10/29

Sophia Robertson, Editor-in-Chief

Welcome back to Robertson’s Reportings! Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed after a vote of 52-48 in the Senate on Monday. With a Republican majority, the Senate was likely to confirm Justice Barrett, but Democrats who do not agree with President Trump’s nomination attempted to slow the process down. 

With less than a week to go before Election Day, the Supreme Courts announced that they would allow absentee, mail-in ballots to be accepted three days after Election Day in Pennsylvania and nine days after Election Day in North Carolina. However, the Supreme Court rejected Wisconsin’s appeal for a three day grace period. Some experts have said that ballots received after Election Day will only make a tiny percentage and that the Supreme Court’s decision will not affect the results of the election. 

On October 29, Twitter, Facebook, and Google CEOs were questioned for alleged bias against conservatives and their beliefs about abortion and religion. President Trump’s argument was that “Twitter refuses to allow any mention of the Biden corruption story. It’s the biggest story and Big Tech, together with the Lamestream Media, isn’t allowing a word to be said about it.”

In Nice, France, there was a knife attack that killed three people on Thursday merely hours before a nationwide lockdown due to COVID-19. The attacker was described as a “Muslim extremist.” These attacks have come during a time of frustration within the Muslim community, as caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad were published in a satirical newspaper in France. There has been a debate between two sides because Muslims have found the images offensive, but the newspaper is protected by free speech laws. Only a few weeks ago, a teacher was beheaded, and his death was attributed to the same type of terrorist because the teacher showed the cartoons in his class when discussing freedom of speech. The police found the teacher’s attacker and, when the attacker shot with an air gun, the officers shot him nine times. The teacher’s attacker paid a few students to point out who the teacher was, and they have been taken into custody. A suspect for the most recent attacks, the Nice stabbings, has also been taken into police custody. 

After the shooting of Walter Wallace Junior, an African American man who was armed with a knife at the time of his death, Philadelphia broke out into riots against the police. Walter Wallace Senior stated that he wanted justice for his son who was killed by police officers but not in the form of violence. Over 30 police officers have been injured in the past few days, including one whose leg was broken after being hit by a truck. The police also reported finding a van of explosives. A curfew from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. was enacted on Wednesday. 

See you next time on Robertson’s Reportings, coverage you can count on!