• "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss
  • “Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don't belong.” - Mandy Hale
  • "It was never easy to look into the future, but it is possible and we should not miss our chance." —Andrei Linde
  • “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
  • “Your life does not get better by chance it gets better by change.” - Jim Rohn
  • “If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” - Thich Nhat Hanh
  • National Cheeseball Day

Entertainment

National Cheeseball Day

• News-Cap 8-12

News

News-Cap 8-12

• News-cap 3/21

News

News-cap 3/21

• NC States Rapid Rise to the Top

Entertainment

NC State’s Rapid Rise to the Top

• Highlighting Important Figures During Black History Month- Josephine Baker

Uncategorized

Highlighting Important Figures During Black History Month- Josephine Baker

• William Murphy, senior, stresses over AP Literature assignment.

Entertainment

How High School Students Can Separate Home Stress from School Stress

• Ukrainian Refugee Kseniia Botezat Finds Her Place in America

Editorials

Ukrainian Refugee Kseniia Botezat Finds Her Place in America

• Celebrating Joanne Smart and Bettye Tillman:  Pioneers of Integration

Entertainment

Celebrating Joanne Smart and Bettye Tillman: Pioneers of Integration

• Athlete of February

Sports

Athlete of February

• 3/3-3/9 Weekly News-caps

News

3/3-3/9 Weekly News-caps

Pages By Page

Pages By Page

Valentines day: The history

Where did Valentine’s Day come from? The history of the holiday is shrouded in mystery. We know that February has long been celebrated as a month of romance, and that St. Valentine’s Day, as we know it today, contains remnants of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition. But who was Saint Valentine, and how did he become associated with this ancient rite? The Catholic Church recognizes at least three different saints named Valentine or Valentinus, all of whom were martyred. One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine’s actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death. Still others insist that it was Saint Valentine of Terni, a bishop, who was the true namesake of the holiday. He, too, was beheaded by Claudius II outside Rome. 

To begin the festival, members of the Luperci, an order of Roman priests, would gather at a sacred cave where the infants Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome, were believed to have been cared for by a she-wolf or lupa. The priests would sacrifice a goat, for fertility, and a dog, for purification. They would then strip the goat’s hide into strips, dip them into the sacrificial blood and take to the streets, gently slapping both women and crop fields with the goat hide. Far from being fearful, Roman women welcomed the touch of the hides because it was believed to make them more fertile in the coming year. Later in the day, according to legend, all the young women in the city would place their names in a big urn. The city’s bachelors would each choose a name and become paired for the year with his chosen woman. These matches often ended in marriage. 

It was not until much later, however, that the day became definitively associated with love. During the Middle Ages, it was commonly believed in France and England that February 14 was the beginning of birds’ mating season, which added to the idea that the middle of Valentine’s Day should be a day for romance. The English poet Geoffrey Chaucer was the first to record St. Valentine’s Day as a day of romantic celebration in his 1375 poem “Parliament of Foules,” writing, ““For this was sent on saint Valentine’s day / When every foul cometh thee to choose his mate.”

Valentine greetings were popular as far back as the Middle Ages, though written Valentine’s didn’t begin to appear until after 1400. The oldest known valentine still in existence today was a poem written in 1415 by Charles, Duke of Orleans, to his wife while he was imprisoned in the Tower of London following his capture at the Battle of Agincourt. (The greeting is now part of the manuscript collection of the British Library in London, England.) Several years later, it is believed that King Henry V hired a writer named John Lydgate to compose a valentine note to Catherine of Valois.