• "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss
  • “Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don't belong.” - Mandy Hale
  • "It was never easy to look into the future, but it is possible and we should not miss our chance." —Andrei Linde
  • “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
  • “Your life does not get better by chance it gets better by change.” - Jim Rohn
  • “If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” - Thich Nhat Hanh
  • National Cheeseball Day

Entertainment

National Cheeseball Day

• News-Cap 8-12

News

News-Cap 8-12

• News-cap 3/21

News

News-cap 3/21

• NC States Rapid Rise to the Top

Entertainment

NC State’s Rapid Rise to the Top

• Highlighting Important Figures During Black History Month- Josephine Baker

Uncategorized

Highlighting Important Figures During Black History Month- Josephine Baker

• William Murphy, senior, stresses over AP Literature assignment.

Entertainment

How High School Students Can Separate Home Stress from School Stress

• Ukrainian Refugee Kseniia Botezat Finds Her Place in America

Editorials

Ukrainian Refugee Kseniia Botezat Finds Her Place in America

• Celebrating Joanne Smart and Bettye Tillman:  Pioneers of Integration

Entertainment

Celebrating Joanne Smart and Bettye Tillman: Pioneers of Integration

• Athlete of February

Sports

Athlete of February

• 3/3-3/9 Weekly News-caps

News

3/3-3/9 Weekly News-caps

Pages By Page

Pages By Page

Internet Security Needs Theft Protection Security

There was a time when identity theft was primarily a physical crime. Early perpetrators relied heavily on obtaining physical items, such as stolen wallets or mail, to impersonate others. The Social Security Number (SSN) emerged as a pivotal element in an individual’s identity. 

If a cunning fraudster could acquire a combination of your name, address, or SSN, the process of impersonating you became alarmingly straightforward, leading them to unauthorized transactions and fraudulent loans. Identity theft protection sprouted as a countermeasure to monitor these crucial identity elements. But as society transitioned into the digital era, the very definition of identity broadened. Today, an individual’s identity compasses not just their name, address, or SSN, but also digital footprints like passwords, logins, PINs, and device identifications.

The concept of stealing someone’s identity has been around for centuries. Over time, the methods have evolved, reflecting the technological and societal shifts of each era. Let’s delve deeper into the intricate history of identity theft and how protection mechanisms have transformed. Long before cybercrime became a term, stealing an identity required a dark, physical act. The victims whose identities were stolen were often murdered at the time by the first criminals. 

Criminals would simply take the victim’s name, his social security number, and other private information after safely disposing of the body. The goal is to acquire a new identity, rather than money-driven. Driven by desperation or the need for a fresh start, these criminals would erase their pasts and adopt the persona of their victims.  In a time when formal identification methods were scarce, and a person’s identity depended largely on their word and signature, such drastic measures were possible.

If you’re a victim of identity theft, the effects could impact you for years — via significant financial loss, a poor credit score, and even difficulty getting a new job due to false information shown during your background check. It’s important to act quickly to report identity theft if yours has been compromised. Your identity information and credentials make up your legal identity. Nearly every app, social media platform or website asks you for at least some personally identifiable information. But this data can be stolen or misused. That’s why it’s important to keep it as private and secure as possible.