• "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss
  • “Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don't belong.” - Mandy Hale
  • "It was never easy to look into the future, but it is possible and we should not miss our chance." —Andrei Linde
  • “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
  • “Your life does not get better by chance it gets better by change.” - Jim Rohn
  • “If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” - Thich Nhat Hanh
  • National Cheeseball Day

Entertainment

National Cheeseball Day

• News-Cap 8-12

News

News-Cap 8-12

• News-cap 3/21

News

News-cap 3/21

• NC States Rapid Rise to the Top

Entertainment

NC State’s Rapid Rise to the Top

• Highlighting Important Figures During Black History Month- Josephine Baker

Uncategorized

Highlighting Important Figures During Black History Month- Josephine Baker

• William Murphy, senior, stresses over AP Literature assignment.

Entertainment

How High School Students Can Separate Home Stress from School Stress

• Ukrainian Refugee Kseniia Botezat Finds Her Place in America

Editorials

Ukrainian Refugee Kseniia Botezat Finds Her Place in America

• Celebrating Joanne Smart and Bettye Tillman:  Pioneers of Integration

Entertainment

Celebrating Joanne Smart and Bettye Tillman: Pioneers of Integration

• Athlete of February

Sports

Athlete of February

• 3/3-3/9 Weekly News-caps

News

3/3-3/9 Weekly News-caps

Pages By Page

Pages By Page

Freda Josephine Baker, born June 3, 1906 in St.Louis, MO was an American-born French dancer, singer and actress with her career mainly being centered primarily in Europe, mostly France. Josephine is personally highlighted as one of the important figures during black history month as she was a talented hero. Josephine is considered a hero for several reasons. She was an influential figure in the civil rights movement as she consistently fought against racial discrimination. Not only did she play a significant role in advocating for racial equality, but also refused to perform for segregated audiences in the United States and greatly used her influence to challenge racial discrimination. During World War II, Baker performed for integrated audiences of French and American troops. She also served as a member of the French Resistance forces and smuggled messages in her lyrics that were sent back to France from opposing forces. She received the Croix de Guerre for her efforts. Baker was also actively
involved in the NAACP as she participated in marches and protests alongside prominent civil rights leaders. Her activism helped raise awareness about racial injustice and inspired others to fight for equal rights. Apart from her involvement in the civil rights movement, she has also been acknowledged as an incredibly talented and influential entertainer. Baker was a famous and illustrious dancer, singer and actress. She gained fame in Paris during the 1920s and worked her way up to then become one of the most successful performers of her time. Known for her captivating stage presence, performances and iconic banana skirt, baker broke barriers as a Black woman in the entertainment industry. Her performances were known for their energy, charisma, and sensuality. She had a fluid and expressive style, incorporating beautiful elements of ballet and African dance. Whether it was her singing or dancing, Josephine Baker’s talent and artistry continue to leave a lasting impact and legacy. Her personality reflected her heart as she adopted twelve children from different ethnic backgrounds, creating what she called a “rainbow tribe” as she promoted harmony with everyone. Josephine Baker left a major impact not only on our African – American community, but on the world.