• "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss
  • “Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don't belong.” - Mandy Hale
  • "It was never easy to look into the future, but it is possible and we should not miss our chance." —Andrei Linde
  • “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
  • “Your life does not get better by chance it gets better by change.” - Jim Rohn
  • “If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” - Thich Nhat Hanh
  • National Cheeseball Day

Entertainment

National Cheeseball Day

• News-Cap 8-12

News

News-Cap 8-12

• News-cap 3/21

News

News-cap 3/21

• NC States Rapid Rise to the Top

Entertainment

NC State’s Rapid Rise to the Top

• Highlighting Important Figures During Black History Month- Josephine Baker

Uncategorized

Highlighting Important Figures During Black History Month- Josephine Baker

• William Murphy, senior, stresses over AP Literature assignment.

Entertainment

How High School Students Can Separate Home Stress from School Stress

• Ukrainian Refugee Kseniia Botezat Finds Her Place in America

Editorials

Ukrainian Refugee Kseniia Botezat Finds Her Place in America

• Celebrating Joanne Smart and Bettye Tillman:  Pioneers of Integration

Entertainment

Celebrating Joanne Smart and Bettye Tillman: Pioneers of Integration

• Athlete of February

Sports

Athlete of February

• 3/3-3/9 Weekly News-caps

News

3/3-3/9 Weekly News-caps

Pages By Page

Pages By Page

Page Kicks Off Spring Football Practices

May marked the beginning of Spring Football practice for Page’s JV and Varsity teams. From May 1st to May 18th, practice took place Monday-Thursday mornings from 7:00AM to 8:30AM. Players ran full-contact practices, but were not allowed to tackle per state safety guidelines. New to the safety protocol this year was the presence of Guardian caps, padded helmet covers worn by players at all times during practice over top of their helmets. These caps are designed to provide extra protection against concussions, as well as protect the new helmets from scratches. New helmets were assigned to players this year on a seniority basis.

The Pirates are experiencing a period of rebuilding as they prepare for the upcoming season. Among the leaving starters are Tremel Hester (OL, DL), Nick Williamson (QB), Tylar Elliott (kicker), Elijah McRae (OL), and Paul Thompson (LB, RB). Since most incoming freshmen join the JV team, these starting positions will be filled by other members of the varsity team. Whoever earns the job receives the starting position- this means showing up to practice and putting in the work, not just having the most talent.

Right guard Jack Kepley and center Tate Robertson, both rising seniors, spoke about their thoughts on spring practice and the upcoming season. After participating in spring practices, both agree that the team’s defensive line looks strong. When asked about what makes them excited for the upcoming season, Kepley said “I am excited to play my senior season and get a chance to beat Grimsley this year.” “I’m excited about senior night. Senior night is gonna be cool, especially since we’re playing Northern, and we’re gonna beat Northern,” added Robertson. When asked how he felt about going into his senior season, Robertson continued “I’m eager to get my senior season started because I’ve been working for 3 years to be a senior on this team, and now the opportunity is finally here.”

Spring practices ended last week, giving the players a break until practice resumes in the summer. Summer practices are composed of 3 different periods: weightlifting, conditioning, and individual skill work. Practices alternate by week with a focus on either offensive or defensive work. Mini-camp begins in late July. This means 4 consecutive days of practice with full pads, following a format similar to that of spring practice. This practice period is often one of great growth for players. Kepley says he hopes to grow in strength and speed over the summer. “I want to grow our team chemistry. We have a lot of new faces out there, and team connections are important for winning games,” says Robertson. The players also set goals for the season as a whole: to be all-conference, to host a home playoff game, and of course, to beat Grimsley.